Have you ever experienced a flight delay while traveling with Icelandair? Flight delays can be frustrating, causing inconvenience and disrupting your travel plans. However, the good news is that you may be entitled to Icelandair Flight Delay Compensation for the inconvenience caused by the delay. Not just that, the airline offers you compensation for flight cancellations as well as for denied boarding.
In this article, we will guide you through the process of claiming compensation for Icelandair flight delays, ensuring you understand your rights and how to proceed with your claim.
What to do when your flight is delayed?
When your Icelandair flight experiences a delay of five hours or more, and rescheduling isn’t an option, you have the freedom to cancel your booking and request a refund for any unused segments of your ticket.
Right to Care – Once your flight is delayed according to the criteria below, Icelandair will provide you with meals and/or drinks.
|Flights up to 1500 km||Delay of 2 hours or more|
|EU flights: 1500-3500 km||Delay of 3 hours or more|
|All other flights||Delay of 4 hours or more|
Passengers are also entitled to 2 phone calls.
When your flight is delayed overnight, and going back home isn’t feasible, Icelandair understands your need for accommodation. They’ve got you covered! Just reach out to the agents at the airport, and they will provide you with hotel vouchers, ensuring you get a comfortable night’s rest.
|Delayed overnight||Entitled to accommodation|
|Unable to issue hotel vouchers||Retain receipts for reimbursement|
|Transportation from airport||Entitled to transportation between the two|
Right to compensation – Passengers who Icelandair operated flight delayed for 3 hours or more, they are entitled to the following compensation –
|Flight Distance||Delay Duration||Compensation Amount|
|1,500km or less||3 hours or more||EUR 250|
|1,500km – 3,500km||3 hours or more||EUR 400|
|More than 3,500km||3 hours or more||EUR 300|
|More than 3,500km||4 hours or more||EUR 600|
What to do when your flight is canceled?
When your Icelandair flight gets canceled and you prefer not to rebook, you have the right to a refund. Icelandair allows you to claim a full refund for any parts of your ticket that you didn’t use.
The airline offers you the following under Icelandair canceled flight circumstances –
- Reroute – In the event of a flight cancellation, you have the option to request an alternative travel arrangement to your final destination on the next available Icelandair flight.
- Right To Care – While you wait for your alternative flight(s), Icelandair provides you
- Meals and/or drinks:
- Airport Transfer
- Right to compensation – If your flight is canceled with less than 14 days’ notice, you may be eligible for Icelandair canceled flight compensation. The amount of compensation varies based on the length of your journey as the overview is given below –
|Flight Distance||Compensation Amount|
|1,500km or less||EUR 250|
|1,500km – 3,500km||EUR 400|
|More than 3,500km||EUR 300|
|More than 3,500km||EUR 600|
Extraordinary circumstances – In certain situations, passengers may not be eligible for compensation when their flight is canceled or delayed. Let’s explore some examples and understand their impact on compensation claims.
- Weather conditions – No compensation is provided if the cancellation or delay is due to severe weather conditions that make it unsafe or impossible to operate the flight.
- Strikes affecting operations – If the cancellation or delay is a result of strikes by airline employees or other relevant parties, compensation may not be applicable.
- Political instability – Compensation is not granted if the cancellation or delay is caused by political unrest, civil unrest, or other similar situations that pose risks to the safety of passengers and crew.
- Air traffic management decisions – When air traffic control authorities make decisions that affect flight operations, resulting in cancellations or delays, compensation claims may not be valid.
What to do Icelandair denies boarding to the passenger?
If you are denied boarding and prefer not to accept an alternate flight, you have the option to claim a refund on the unused flight segment.
Passengers are entitled to the following rights –
- When denied boarding, you have the right to request alternative travel arrangements on the next available Icelandair flight to your final destination. Below is the overview –
|Denied boarding due to non-compliance||No entitlement to compensation|
|Denied boarding due to flight cancellation||Compensation may not be applicable|
|Denied boarding due to aircraft substitution||Compensation may not be applicable|
|Offered alternative seating with no extra charge||Compensation may not be applicable|
|Alternative flight(s) within one hour||Compensation may not be applicable|
- Right to compensation – Passengers who are denied boarding are entitled to the following compensation –
|Delay Duration||Involuntary Compensation|
|1-4 hours||200% of remaining flight coupons’ value to next stopover, not exceeding $650|
|4+ hours||400% of remaining flight coupons’ value to next stopover, not exceeding $1,300|
How to claim compensation with Icelandair?
Now that you understand the eligibility criteria for compensation, let’s explore the steps you can take to claim what you’re entitled to.
- Start by collecting all the necessary information regarding your delayed flight.
- Before initiating the claim process, familiarize yourself with Icelandair Flight Delay Compensation Policy.
- Visit the official website of Icelandair or contact their customer service to gather information on how they handle flight delay compensation claims.
- Ensure that you provide accurate and detailed information regarding your flight, the delay, and your contact details.
- Attach any supporting documents, such as boarding passes or receipts, to strengthen your claim.
- After submitting your claim, it’s crucial to stay proactive and follow up with the airline if needed.
By understanding the eligibility criteria and following the necessary steps, you can claim the compensation you deserve. Remember to gather all relevant information, familiarize yourself with Icelandair Flight Delay Compensation Policy, submit a detailed claim, and maintain open communication throughout the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
As long as your flight departs from an EU member state or arrives in an EU member state and is operated by an EU airline like Icelandair, you may be eligible for compensation, regardless of your citizenship.
The amount of compensation depends on the distance of your flight and the length of the delay, ranging from €250 to €600.
If Icelandair denies your compensation claim and you believe you are entitled to it, you can seek assistance from government authorities. You can also consider hiring a claim company specializing in flight delay compensation claims.
Yes, there is a time limit for claiming compensation. In most cases, you must submit your claim within 3 years from the date of the delayed flight.
If the delay is caused by extraordinary circumstances beyond the airline’s control, such as severe weather, you may not be eligible for compensation.