Whether a child is traveling to visit relatives, attend summer camps, or for any other reason, WestJet’s guidelines provide parents and guardians with the reassurance they seek when entrusting their children to the care of the airline.
Throughout this article, we will examine the key aspects of WestJet Unaccompanied Minor Policy, shedding light on the age requirements, necessary documentation, and the attentive assistance provided by the airline’s trained staff members.
Age Restrictions and Requirements
Here are the key guidelines to keep in mind:
- Age Range – WestJet accepts unaccompanied minors between the ages of 8 and 17. The program is mandatory for children aged eight to eleven years. For children aged twelve to seventeen years, the program is optional but available
- Assistance for Younger Children – Children aged 5 to 7 years are required to be accompanied by a passenger who is at least 16 years old. This designated passenger must be a family member or a responsible individual authorized by the child’s parent or guardian.
Eligibility Criteria for WestJet Unaccompanied Minor Service
WestJet’s Unaccompanied Minor Program cannot accommodate children who fall under the following categories:
- Deaf or blind passengers.
- Requires the assistance of a service dog.
- Having severe allergies necessitating the use of an epinephrine auto-injector
- Require assistance in taking essential medication.
- Passengers with disabilities that require traveling with a familiar guardian
- Passengers who availed of WestJet Pet Travel Service
- Passengers who are unable to communicate in English or French, verbally or in writing.
Guardian Fare Program – If a child does not meet the qualifications for the Unaccompanied Minor Program, WestJet offers an alternative called the Guardian Fare Program. This program allows parents or guardians to accompany their child to and from the destination at discounted airfare.
Travel Restrictions For WestJet Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Below mentioned are the flight requirements and limitations to help parents and guardians make informed decisions for their child’s travel plans.
- The Unaccompanied Minor Program is exclusively available for travel within Canada.
- Flights to the United States or other international destinations are not eligible under WestJet Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Program.
- The program is applicable only to flights operated by WestJet itself.
- The service is not available for code-share agreement flights.
- Unaccompanied minors can only travel on direct flights.
- Bookings made using Air Miles and RBC points are not eligible for the Unaccompanied Minor Program.
- Following time restrictions for flights may be applicable –
|Departure Time||Should not be before 5:30 a.m.|
|Arrival Time||Should not be after 10:00 p.m.|
How to book flight reservations for unaccompanied minors with WestJet?
Here are the steps involved in requesting this service –
- To initiate the process, complete WestJet online form to request unaccompanied minor travel.
- Provide all the required details, including flight information and passenger information, accurately.
- WestJet will review your request and respond via email within 48 hours.
- Once you receive a response, you have 72 hours to confirm your reservation and make the necessary payment.
- To secure the reservation, you are required to pay for the flight and a fee of $100 per direction.
Please note – WestJet can accommodate up to four unaccompanied minors per flight, subject to availability.
In-Flight Amenities – As part of the WestJet unaccompanied minor’s flight experience, the airline may provide a headset, a snack, and a drink.
What are the documents required for WestJet Unaccompanied Minor Travel?
WestJet has specific requirements to facilitate the reservation process for unaccompanied minors. These requirements include –
- Child’s Information – These details include –
- Date of Birth
- Provide the child’s full name as shown on their identification
- Guardian’s Information – These details include –
- Provide the full names of the guardians transporting the child to and from the airport, as shown on their government identification.
- Provide the residential addresses of the guardians.
- Share contact numbers.
- Identification Documents – Unaccompanied need the following documents at the time of check-in –
- Present a photocopy of either the child’s birth certificate or another government-issued identification that displays the child’s date of birth and gender.
- The proof will also be required for the child’s return flight.
- Pick-Up Person – Parents/Guardians who would be receiving the child at the destination airport required the following –
- The person picking up the child upon arrival must be over 18 years of age.
- The pick-up person must present a government-issued photo ID.
Airport Procedure for WestJet Unaccompanied Minor
Here are the important steps to follow at the airport to ensure the well-being and seamless travel of unaccompanied minors –
- Arrive at the airport a minimum of 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- This allows sufficient time for reviewing completed unaccompanied minor forms, completing the necessary documentation, and the boarding process.
- Parents/Legal Guardians must have proper identification to go through security, you may be granted a gate pass to escort your child to the gate area.
- Parents are required to remain in the gate area until a WestJet agent informs them that the aircraft has departed.
- Place a baggage tag inside both your child’s carry-on and checked baggage.
- Before your child boards the aircraft, provide them with a small snack.
- Upon arrival, they will be the last guests to disembark from the aircraft.
Unaccompanied Minors and WestJet Vacations Packages
The unaccompanied minor program is not applicable for children traveling as part of a WestJet Vacations package booking.
By following the guidelines outlined in the WestJet Unaccompanied Minor Policy and ensuring compliance with the requirements, parents and guardians can navigate the process with ease and peace of mind. This ensures hassle-free travel for unaccompanied minors with WestJet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Children must be at least eight years old at the time of travel to qualify as unaccompanied minors.
Yes, the unaccompanied minor service is available only for travel between Canadian cities.
You need to complete the online form provided by WestJet. The airline will review your request and respond by email within 48 hours. Once confirmed, you have 72 hours to pay for the flight and associated fees.
If you have proper identification to go through security, you may be granted a gate pass to accompany your child to the gate area.
Yes, unaccompanied minors will be pre-boarded to allow them to settle in before other passengers.